Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Blues

I've been singing jazz for a long time, but I got hooked on the blues driving around in the desert valley of Las Vegas in 2009.

I realized something then: The blues, that familiar chordal pattern and genre so dear to us all contains within it some kind of amazing soothing power. Just the guitar rolling over the V chord on a turn-around can carry your emotions with it and, lift them up to God.

I believe we're not supposed to carry our sorrows around with us. And for those who have forgotten how to pray, the blues can put us in a state of mind that is a whole lot like prayer.

I'm feeling some of this right now as I face change in my life after graduating college. It is a happy time, and it is also full of sometimes unsettling uncertainty. Although I pray, sometimes I feel like I just don't have the words.

Thus, my latest song was born, and along with it, this little image that I have here for you:

I want to encourage you remember music. If you're going through something, don't forget that music might be the missing peice to set your heart right again. Go out and see a live performance!

If you're looking for a place to catch the blues ASAP in Missoula, tomorrow night (4/4/13) Kevin Van Dort kicks off his North American tour out of Draught Works Brewery. He is one of Missoula's best and has star quality. I really enjoyed singing Summertime with him and the Ed Norton Big Band, which I've posted here.

If you can make it, my next show is at high noon on the campus of The University of Montana Wednesday April 10th. You can find me in the middle of the University Center atrium singing the blues like it's my job... because it is. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!